A weblog of my pre-service teaching experience way up north in Darwin.

Saturday, July 29, 2006

T-14 days, and counting...

In about two weeks, I'll leave for Darwin to undertake my second school experience - the second of three primary school practicums - for my two-year post-grad teaching degree. I'm one of at least a dozen uni students doing a Darwin placement, all of us hoping to get a taste for teaching and life up there, with all different communities and demands to Melbourne. Most of us are staying at Darwin Uni (the North Flinders International House I think), with a small group posted at Oenpelli in Arnhem Land (map). I'll be at Karama Primary School (see Karama on this map), but I don't yet know what year I'll be with.

Hopefully, during our stay, we'll get to visit Katherine Gorge and a few other spectacular spots aroundabout, but we've been promised, at the very least, a lovely few weeks of exhaustion and stuffed-ness thanks to the Darwin Festival, Numeracy and Literacy week, nightly food markets, Kunbarllanjnja-Onpelli Open Day (see the flyer, left), and Indigenous Awards (NATSIAA), and more, occuring during our stay.

We're all a bit stressed at the mo - we've got 10 weeks of classes this semester and about 10 assignments too - hopefully I'll get lots done before I go so I can fit in all the fun and required lesson-planning. Of course, there's the stress of doing a job after going all that way.

Hopefully, I'll post something more suspenseful closer to the day. But until then, I'm wearing moccasins and ugly cardies a la Melbourne in July. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home